But the thing is, if this form of creating is inside of you, it finds a way out. You have to write. You have stories to tell. You suck it up and do the work because you love it and can't imagine your life without this part of you. You long to create characters and stories that someone else can connect with. To share a little piece of what's inside your head, even if just for that one person that needed to hear what you had to say. You get better by doing. By reading. By listening. By seeing. By not quitting.
Starting today I'm going to be able to walk into a bookstore and find a book with my name on it, with words I've written inside, and this is so huge I can't even fully process it. From this day on, I'll always be a published author. Like, what?! ALL THE MUPPET FLAILS!!
And I owe a million thanks to my critique girls, Katie M. Stout, Kristi Chestnutt, and Kim Franklin, and to readers Amy Sonnichsen, Cari, and Mari. My amazing agent Marietta B. Zacker, and incredible editor Caroline Abbey. Laura Whitaker and everyone at Bloomsbury! My supportive and loving family and friends, in-person and online! My journey here wouldn't be the same without each of you.
Colosseum at night
- Don’t get arrested
- Don’t make a fool out of myself in public
- Get my picture taken at the Colosseum
- Find random souvenir for Morgan
- Get a makeover
- See Pompeii
- Swim in the Mediterranean Sea
- Have a conversation with someone in only Italian
- Eat a whole pizza in one sitting
- Fall in love with an Italian
If I were spending an entire summer in Italy (hey, it's fun to dream!), here are ten things I'd want to do!
- Take an official tour of the Colosseum, including the scary bottom level
- Go to the catacombs
- See Pompeii
- Eat gelato at least twice a day
- Paint on location instead of later from a picture
- Take a gondola ride in Venice
- Stay at a bed and breakfast in Tuscany
- Learn to make authentic pasta from scratch
- Rent a bicycle and ride around a quaint village
- Learn to speak enough Italian to get by without relying on English
Hubs and me eating gelato in Corniglia, Cinque Terre
Painter in Florence | Bikes in Florence
What would you do with a whole summer in Italy?!
If you'd like a signed copy of Wish You Were Italian, my local indie bookstore ships! Click THIS LINK to order, marking any personalization details in the order comments.